30 Jan 2013

Introduction Thursday; Meet Louie Rivers- tattooer, artist, model.

Last time I've introduced you to K. Selfridge- the NY Brooklyn photographer. I have shared with you the interview I have done with her and some of her work.
I'm thinking of making this a 'thing' now. Every second Thursday, I will introduce you to a new person. Artists, musicians, tattooists, photographers, models, etc.

I don't know if you'll like the idea but I would. Anyway, I'm being a bit 'arsy' today, so let me just introduce you to a very talented tattooer Louie, so you can read something worthwhile!


How do you describe your style?

-     ‘I'm not really sure, I wear whatever I want & always have done - if I had to explain then maybe somewhere between Danzig & ice cube. I call it 'the dark prince'’ (Louie clearly states that the last part is a joke).

What music do you listen to?

-     ‘I listen to a lot of music, If I had to pick a few to get an idea I'd say - geto boys, alkaline trio, smoking popes, Beirut, trapped under ice, souls of mischief & anything by jeff mangum.. To name very few. Don't try & fill in the blanks!’
How did you get into tattooing?-     ‘I got into tattooing when I realised I was incapable of living a 'normal' 9-5 life. I was getting pretty heavily tattooed at the time & I just thought 'I can draw a tattoo design & make it look like a tattoo I would get' I had faith in myself & took my time to find a decent apprenticeship. It's been very natural.’
  What inspires your artwork?

-     ‘I'm hugely inspired by artists such as bert Grimm, Dietzel, dan santoro, bert krak.. The list goes on. As far as reference, I'm interested in zodiac, cult symbols, old advertising, animal heads & collections suchas 'craphound'’
 What was the most recent cool place you’ve visited?

-     ‘I've been pretty settled since I recently lost my passport. But usually I tour with a band called The Computers so we get to visit a lot of great places, I couldn't pin point a memory.. Maybe touring with Alexisonfire, big shows, good people, good times! Either that or taking a piss with jared Leto? He was wearing a White dress. I can't decide.’



Here are some photos of some of Louie's work and the man himself! Enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment