6 Aug 2013

MODEL TALK - Samio Olowu / Introductory Month

It's a new month, which also means it's a new introduction! A new person! 
Meet Samio! A well- known, still rising for the stars fashion model.
I met Samio while I was doing a job for Coast. I was dressing one of the models at the Coast fashion show and Samio was one of them! We had a laugh (especially at the butlers which were so embarrassing themselves)! 
Samio has shot for many known companies and brands already and is still climbing the 'fashion ladder'. All best wishes x

(c) Samio Olowu 2013


As usual I ask the person I'm introducing some questions:


1) Where did the 'modelling idea' come from?

When I was younger people used to say 'you should be a model' but it was never anything I thought about seriously. Looking back I wasn't in the right mind frame nor was it the right time in my life back then to peruse modelling anyway, so I'm glad it happened later on.
2) What was your first 'starting point' in modelling?

I was in university and student photographers started asking me to model for them. Once I had a few images, professional photographers started getting in touch asking if I'd test for them. From that I was able to build a portfolio. I started getting bits of paid work hear and there but I still never thought about doing it seriously until about seven months after finishing university. I was always quite sceptical about the idea, at the time I didn't know anyone who modelled full time so it never seemed like a 'real job'. After some convincing I applied to an agency, they took me on and I started getting work straight away. I've been with my agency since and it's one of the best decisions I made. So I'm grateful now to the people who encouraged me to peruse modelling. 


3) Are you also doing something else in life except from modelling, work-wise or study-wise?


I graduated from university two years ago. Now I do modelling full time but I'm opening a website, called Pearls & Lipstick, selling clutch bags that I design and make. The site was supposed to be opening earlier this year but as I had a busy few months it was put on hold for a while. I'm finally getting back to work on it all now and being super proactive. I'm planning to get the site open very soon, so watch this space!

4) What did you think of the A/W 13-14 collections in general? Do you have any favourite designers?

I wouldn't call myself a big fashion follower I am however a shopaholic and I'm constantly buying new clothes, so I guess I can't help but be on trend when I'm constantly buying what's in the shops. I do however search for unique items and try to buy things that I've not seen too many people in. I am aware of what trends may be about at the time but I don't consciously try to follow them... If I like something I'll buy it if I don't I won't, regardless of weather it's in fashion or not.

5) Would you give others any special tips on what to especially purchase for the upcoming season? Any 'got to have' trends you'd recommend?

I love biker jackets. For me I think they suit my shape and I love how they go with nearly anything. As punk fashion is still in so you can still find loads of gorgeous leather and faux leather biker jackets about, I've already purchased mine ready for this A/W.

6) What was your most favourite modelling job you've done so far?

I've had a few pretty awesome ones. My favourite one so far this year, probably has to be when I shot for Fruit of The Loom. It was a 10 day shoot in Spain shooting half in Sotogrande and then half in Marbella, on numerous locations. We were put up in a lovely hotel, fed lots of gorgeous food and I was working with a great team. We had lots of fun and laughs. I actually think I spent the majority of the trip laughing, I would have come back with a six pack if it wasn't for all the food I ate.



Another favourite job was late last year, I was flown over to the Isle of Man, for three days of filming for a movie. I was only an extra in the film, playing one of the character's girlfriends for a scene. As acting is something I'm passionate about, it was good to watch the pros in action. I made good friends and it was lots of fun.
7) You're also designing bags and making them! Do you follow the 'fashion seasons' rules and make bags for winter, summer, etc. or is it just bags you come up with by being inspired by something totally random?
At the moment I'm not following any fashion rules, I'm in the very early stages of starting a my business and for now I just make whatever ideas come to mind. My only rule is I design and make what I would use myself. I only taught myself how to make bags late last year, after I wanted to make one for myself to use. I'm very impatient, I don't sketch my ideas or use patterns. Once I get an idea in my head I just get hands on with the fabric and start to make my next creation. If I already have a strong visual in my head of what I want, I don't see the point in sketching it down first, it just seems like a waste of time to me. Like I said, I'm impatient.
8) Where do you see yourself in 2 years time?
In two years time, I honestly don't know. I just hope for continued happiness and success, wherever that may take me in life.

Here are some links to Samio's website, agency profile and her Twitter! 
Twitter & Instagram: @samiorenelda

No comments:

Post a Comment